perl-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kennedy <a...@phase-n.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Some questions about mod_perl 2.0]
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:27:44 GMT

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Adam Kennedy said:
>
>>While I'm thinking about it, has anyone talked to Red Hat or the Debian
>>people to see how the separate distribution of identically named module
>>will work within all of the distro's various packaging systems?
>

> Doesn't seem like a problem to me since a) they just ship the mod_perl
> that goes with the apache version they choose to ship and b) their package
> systems work fine with anything that doesn't have overlapping files, and
> the current mp2 plan has no overlapping files.

Well, a) many ship both versions of apache, which means both versions of
mod_perl and b) In debian's case, while the files themselves may be
different there is a standard method for determining the debian package
name for any given perl module name that assumes that the module names
are unique, so I presume that we'll need a change to the debian package
naming "algorithm" (for some use of the word) for perl modules.

Adam