perl-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kennedy <a...@phase-n.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Some questions about mod_perl 2.0]
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:10:36 GMT
> If a module has XS code and doesn't provide a CLONE function, most
> likely it is not thread-safe (you can grep for CLONE). Of course those
> that provide the CLONE function aren't necessarily completely
> thread-safe. e.g. I've added CLONE only for the top level class in GTop,
> the rest of classes in that package are still not thread-safe. It's
> possible that XS module will be thread-safe w/o CLONE, it depends on
> what it does.

While this may be true, a comparatively small number of modules use XS.

In fact, if you like I can get hard numbers on that, as I'm writing some
module-scanning tasks at the moment and a check for the use of bootstrap
would probably make a nice test.

There are a lot of other issues at a perl level. Such as any feature
implemented with the temporary localisation of globals.

When you summarise the response, I would definitely appreciate a section
on how we address and manage multiple-active-APIs-per-namespace at a
CPAN-wide level, since that it would appear that feature is needed to
make this mod_perl 2 idea work.

While I'm thinking about it, has anyone talked to Red Hat or the Debian
people to see how the separate distribution of identically named module
will work within all of the distro's various packaging systems?

(just something to add to the pot)

Thanks again

Adam