perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Some questions about mod_perl 2.0]
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:04:53 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Adam Kennedy said:
>
>>I'm wondering how you plan to make the modifications to the various
>>modules that might be effected by this new concept of "two different
>>modules (APIs) with the same name"
>

> Adam, this is under heavy discussion right now and is not really resolved.
>  There is no solution that solves every problem at the moment.  Please
> stand by for further developments on this.

The discussion is about various workarounds. Regardless the mp2 API stays
as it is now.

I'll post a summary of the discussion so far when I'm done with it.

>>If so, do you have a solution for detecting if any arbitrary code or
>>module is thread-safe or not?
>
> This would be a general perl thing, not a mod_perl thing.  I'm not aware
> of any automatic scanning utility for this.

If a module has XS code and doesn't provide a CLONE function, most likely
it is not thread-safe (you can grep for CLONE). Of course those that
provide the CLONE function aren't necessarily completely thread-safe. e.g.
I've added CLONE only for the top level class in GTop, the rest of classes
in that package are still not thread-safe. It's possible that XS module
will be thread-safe w/o CLONE, it depends on what it does.

for more information see the docs in:
http://apache.org/~stas/Example-CLONE-0.02.tar.gz