perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [Module::Build] Re: ModPerl::MB
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:49:23 GMT

hi ken :)  many belated congrats on your new addition :)

Ken Williams wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2004, at 8:22 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> with MM we override MY::constants so things end up in Apache2/ subdirs
>> in blib/. That's about it. so if normally a file would be installed
>> under /foo/bar it'll be now installed under /foo/bar/Apache2.
>

> Um, doesn't that really break things (like, say, perl) that are looking
> for modules in @INC and not map( "$_/Apache2", @INC)?

for a bit of history here, what happens with mp2 is that if it sees a mp1
installation it installs everything under site_lib/Apache2/ (like
Apache::Filter becomes Apache2/Apache/Filter.pm) as to not collide with
existing modules in the mp1 namespace.  along with this is Apache2.pm, which
adjusts @INC so that Apache::Filter resolves to Apache2/Apache/Filter.pm -
mp2 installs are expected to 'PerlModule Apache2' or somesuch if they want
their mp2 modules found.

for better or worse, this is the path that mp2 has chosen, and it really
doesn't make sense to rehash the virtue of that decision here - the mod_perl
list is doing a fine job of turning this into a little war all by itself.

however, what is important is for mp2 CPAN modules to be able to easily
follow the same paradigm that mod_perl core has chosen.  that is, say,
Apache::Clean for mp2 should install itself into Apache2/ if that's where
mp2 installed itself.  ModPerl::MM::WriteMakefile takes care of this for
MakeMaker-based modules.  David is wanting a similar utility for Module::Build.

anyway, I hope that makes sense and helps clarify things a bit.

--Geoff