perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: ModPerl::MB
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:12:19 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>>From what I understand, the whole
>>point of that module is to detect when both mod_perl1 and mod_perl2 are
>>installed, and, when they are, to add "Apache" to the install path
>>before installing mod_perl2-specific modules.

That's Apache2/ (not Apache).

> well, that's not the _whole_ point :)  a mp1 Makefile.PL that needs to
>
>   - interface with the mod_perl or apache C api via XS
>   - also compile on win32
>
> looks something like this
>
> http://www.modperlcookbook.org/code/ch03/Cookbook-SimpleRequest-0.01/Makefile.PL
>
> note that even without the win32 foo mp1 still needs the call to
> Apache::src->new->inc to find the proper header files.

wo, wo, wo, nobody was even suggesting to do that for mp1. mp2 was the
only one.

> for mp2, both of those features are taken care of automatically via
> ModPerl::MM::WriteMakefile. sure, it's a rare case but, as we've seen in just
> the last week, I'm not the only one that is writing XS extensions for mp2 :)

But M::B doesn't support XS yet, so that's moot.

so David and I were only talking about ModPerl::MB subclass of M::B which
will do the usual thing as any another non-mp2 module does, but will
subclass whatever method it is to install mp2 modules under Apache2/ if
mp2-core was installed there.

so yes, as of this moment David description is the _whole_ point