perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: ModPerl::MB
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:04:36 GMT
> From what I understand, the whole
> point of that module is to detect when both mod_perl1 and mod_perl2 are
> installed, and, when they are, to add "Apache" to the install path
> before installing mod_perl2-specific modules.

well, that's not the _whole_ point :)  a mp1 Makefile.PL that needs to

  - interface with the mod_perl or apache C api via XS
  - also compile on win32

looks something like this

http://www.modperlcookbook.org/code/ch03/Cookbook-SimpleRequest-0.01/Makefile.PL

note that even without the win32 foo mp1 still needs the call to
Apache::src->new->inc to find the proper header files.

for mp2, both of those features are taken care of automatically via
ModPerl::MM:WriteMakefile. sure, it's a rare case but, as we've seen in just
the last week, I'm not the only one that is writing XS extensions for mp2 :)

anyway, this is kinda "just for the record" stuff - you guys are much better
suited to decide what and what not to support with Module::Build.

--Geoff