perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] PAUSE indexer issues
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 02:11:02 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>
>>>Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>That is a minor quibble; certainly we could create a vacuous

>>This is a really bad workaround, IMHO. As it breaks all the paradigms
>>to start with.
>

> There's always the existing Apache2.pm if you don't like the
> "mod_perl2" hack; that way no renaming is necessary.

That's correct.

>>>The same way it did before the mp2 candidates started showing up on
>>>CPAN.  If your next release of Apache-Scoreboard used this patch
>>>in its META.yml
>>>  requires:
>>>      Apache::Test           1.10
>>>-     mod_perl:              1.9917
>>>+     mod_perl2:             2.00  and the mp2 final release provided the
>>>mod_perl2 package, that'd do exactly what you wanted, no?
>>
>>You've missed the point, Joe. It has nothing to do with modperl-core.
>>
>>Apache::VMonitor requires Apache-Scoreboard. There are two different
>>Apache-Scoreboard version on CPAN. If Apache-Scoreboard-2.02 is not indexed,
>>Apache::VMonitor for mp2 can't automatically satisfy its prerequisites.
>

> But the Apache::VMonitor on CPAN supports both mp1 and mp2, right?
> So if Apache-Scoreboard-2.02 is not indexed, Apache::VMonitor accepts
> the indexed one for mp1: Apache-Scoreboard-0.10.  However, I'm not
> arguing that Apache-Scoreboard-2.02 remain unindexed; I'm only talking
> about the modules common to both mp1 and mp2 distros.  What the
> author of Apache::Scoreboard does is entirely up to you, but
> if I were you, I would leave Apache-Scoreboard-2.02 indexed.

I've lost you, Joe. Of course Apache-Scoreboard-2.02 needs to be indexed.
So does Apache-Scoreboard-0.10. But at the moment only 2.02 is indexed. So
Apache-VMonitor mp1 users need to install Apache-Scoreboard-0.10 manually.
removing 2.02 from index, will reverse the situation. Neither of these is
good.

I'm trying to show that the problem is much bigger than just for modules
common to modperl-core. So finding some workaround for the core, doesn't
make the users any happier. On the opposite I think it's much easier to
not rely on CPAN clients to install the core modperl (and that's the case
with modperl users who build modperl by themselves), but it's the 3rd
party modules that are in trouble. So I guess using modperl2 as an example
was a really bad example in first place. I should have used some 3rd party
module like Apache-VMonitor/Apache-Scoreboard pair.

> To be clear, I've been under the assumption that the mp2 developers
> were/are assuming multi-version CPAN support was/is going to happen.
> All I'm suggesting is that, now that we are reasonably certain about
> CPAN's (lack of) functionality, that some reaffirmation of the
> mp2 release plan takes place.  At the very least it will ensure
> that the apreq'ers are in sync with the modperl'ers.

No assumption was ever made, this was a wishful thinking. I was falsely
thinking that the issue was just a matter of tuits, so I've continued
pinging Autrijus every half a year or so. And I've now started this thread
again, since Autrijus said he will work on solving the problem in January.
I've volunteered to polish the previously discussed scenario and decided
to bounce it off p5p to collect any new ideas. But the effect was the
opposite. I should have never posted it there, and instead having it
implemented.

The current state of things is as follows: we release things as they are,
and it's up to users to request/demand to have PAUSE and CPAN clients fixed.