perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] PAUSE indexer issues
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:34:31 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

> [...]
>

>>Again:
>>
>>1) mod_perl2.pm doesn't exit. Renaming the distro to mod_perl2 won't
>>make any difference, since indexer does not look at the distro name.
>

> That is a minor quibble; certainly we could create a
> vacuous mod_perl2 module if we really wanted to.

This is a really bad workaround, IMHO. As it breaks all the paradigms to
start with.

>>2) this it's not going to help other modules. Example: there are two
>>internally incompatible versions of Apache-Scoreboard (but which
>>otherwise work identically for users):
>>http://search.cpan.org/~stas/Apache-Scoreboard-2.02/
>>http://search.cpan.org/~dougm/Apache-Scoreboard-0.10/
>>Apache::VMonitor requires that module, how is it going to resolve the
>>dependency if it's not indexed?
>

> The same way it did before the mp2 candidates started showing up on
> CPAN.  If your next release of Apache-Scoreboard used this patch
> in its META.yml
>
>   requires:
>       Apache::Test           1.10
> -     mod_perl:              1.9917
> +     mod_perl2:             2.00
>

> and the mp2 final release provided the mod_perl2 package,
> that'd do exactly what you wanted, no?

You've missed the point, Joe. It has nothing to do with modperl-core.

Apache::VMonitor requires Apache-Scoreboard. There are two different
Apache-Scoreboard version on CPAN. If Apache-Scoreboard-2.02 is not
indexed, Apache::VMonitor for mp2 can't automatically satisfy its
prerequisites.

Besides I fail to see the relevance of that META.yml example, which is
ignored by most CPAN clients, and Makefile.PL's prereq_pm is the one that
is consulted (at least for now).