perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] PAUSE indexer issues
Date Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:44:31 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>>Looks reasonable.  Then how about changing mp2's META.yml
>>>to simply not index any similarly-named mp1-modules?
>>
>>What difference would it make? It'll fix the problem for modules
>>requiring mp1, but it'll break dependencies for modules requiring
>>mp2. Even if you it's reasonable to suggest that there are more mp1
>>users at the moment, who's going to decide when it's the right time to
>>stop the wheel and start rolling it in the opposite direction.
>
> I'd think the pmc@perl would decide, preferably with 3 +1's on this
> list.

*shrug*

>>Or do you suggest to make a special case for mod_perl.pm?
>>
>>And if you follow your own suggestion, you will have to completely exclude
>>libapreq2 from indexing, preventing anybody from seeing it via CPAN clients.
>

> We could index "mod_perl2" and "libapreq2" (note the "2") modules,
> and tell new developers to put those at the top of their prereq list.
> Once those prereqs are satisfied, the other Apache::* dependencies
> will be taken care of, so the fact that Apache::Request is indexed in
> a libapreq1 tarball shouldn't matter, should it?  I'm guessing about
> how cpan actually resolves these dependencies, so if I'm wrong please
> say so.

Again:

1) mod_perl2.pm doesn't exit. Renaming the distro to mod_perl2 won't make
any difference, since indexer does not look at the distro name.

2) this it's not going to help other modules. Example: there are two
internally incompatible versions of Apache-Scoreboard (but which otherwise
work identically for users):
http://search.cpan.org/~stas/Apache-Scoreboard-2.02/
http://search.cpan.org/~dougm/Apache-Scoreboard-0.10/
Apache::VMonitor requires that module, how is it going to resolve the
dependency if it's not indexed? (Note that this is just a single example)
I'm sure you will find more on CPAN and more will appear once mp2 is released)

So, IMHO the proposed workaround does not solve the problem, other than
making some users happy, rendering others unhappy.

The only proper solution is to fix PAUSE/CPAN and all the efforts should
be put to make this happen. Any workaround will bring an incomplete
solution, which will hurt someone.