perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] PAUSE indexer issues
Date Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:16:58 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>> > Eventually that dynamic will reverse itself, and that would be the
>> > time to phase out mp1 from CPAN. But not we're not there yet, IMO [*].
>

> [...]
>

>>And that's exactly why workarounds shouldn't be sought after. Since
>>once the trend reverts, those workarounds will bite you back. Solving
>>it properly on the CPAN/PAUSE level now will provide a proper solution
>>which won't break when the trend changes.
>

> Looks reasonable.  Then how about changing mp2's META.yml
> to simply not index any similarly-named mp1-modules?

What difference would it make? It'll fix the problem for modules requiring
mp1, but it'll break dependencies for modules requiring mp2. Even if you
it's reasonable to suggest that there are more mp1 users at the moment,
who's going to decide when it's the right time to stop the wheel and start
rolling it in the opposite direction. Why giving users a false warm
feeling when things are broken in reality, and it will hit them sooner or
later?

Besides, your suggestion to simply not index any similarly-named
mp1-modules, includes mod_perl.pm. So anybody who did moved to mp2 and
tries to check whether there is a new version by querying the client for
that module name will be mislead to think that there are none. Or do you
suggest to make a special case for mod_perl.pm?

And if you follow your own suggestion, you will have to completely exclude
libapreq2 from indexing, preventing anybody from seeing it via CPAN clients.

And to be consistent it will need to be followed by other Apache::
modules, like Apache::Scoreboard.

If you do all these, you can be sure that the migration to mp2 will take a
few years and more, since people will be simply unaware of new things
being released.

> This doesn't address all of Randal's complaints (eg perldoc doesn't
> know about Apache2),

mp2doc exists to solve this problem, it is installed when mp2 is
installed. It was added in 1.99_09 - April 28, 2003.