perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] SVN aware release process
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:47:57 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> After going thru making the first release after our move to subversion,
> I'd like the opportunity to discuss a possible change to how we make
> releases.
>
> Our current release process is a good one, but it was built around
> CVS's limitations.
>
> So in this proposal, I'd like to solve a few problems.
>
> 1. Ability to make release-candidates and releases without holding
>    up development
> 2. Ability for someone to take over an unfinished release-candidate
>    and push a release out
> 3. Ability to make release-candidate fixes in isolation
>
> The following is my suggested release process:
>
> In this scenario we are getting ready for 1.99.20
>
> So, first we take HEAD and prepare it for the RC
> $> svn cp https://[repos]/trunk https://[repos]/branches/1.99.20
>
> Then we switch over it
> $> svn switch https://[repos]/branches/1.03/1.99.20
>
> We bump versions and such in preparation for the RC
> $> vi Changes README Makefile.PL
> $> svn ci Changes README Makefile.PL
>
> We make the release-candidate
> $> perl Makefile.PL && make dist
>
> [Here we could keep on modifying the branch if RC bugs are found]
>
> We are happy with the release-candidate, so now it's official
>
> First we make the branch a tag
>
> $> svn mv https://[repos]/branches/1.99.20 https://[repos]/tags/1.99.20
>
> Then we switch over to it
>
> $> svn switch https://[repos]/tags/1.99.20
>
> And make the _official_ package
> $> perl Makefile.PL && make dist
>
> RELEASE IT!
>
> Then start the new dev cycle.
>
> Switch back to the head
> $> svn switch https://[repos]/trunk
>
> Apply (merge) changes to the RC to the trunk/
> $> svn merge https://[repos]/trunk https://[repos]/tags/1.99.20
>
> Bump version and such
> $> vi lib/mod_perl.pm Changes STATUS RELEASE
>
> Check in
> $> svn ci lib/mod_perl.pm Changes README Makefile.PL STATUS RELEASE
>
> Comments welcome!

One things doesn't make sense to me. Why

"Bump version and such"

if we are already in the dev of a new cycle and potentially committed a
bunch of things. This should be done as soon as you fork things.

fork and "Bump version and such in the HEAD"

but that's still not good timing wise.

I think it should be:

1) Make a release (remove -dev adjust date and commit Changes)

2) fork (and continue working on the fork for RC => release)

3) updated HEAD to start a new dev cycle.