perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject [Proposal] SVN aware release process
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:00:48 GMT
After going thru making the first release after our move to subversion,
I'd like the opportunity to discuss a possible change to how we make
releases.

Our current release process is a good one, but it was built around
CVS's limitations.

So in this proposal, I'd like to solve a few problems.

1. Ability to make release-candidates and releases without holding
    up development
2. Ability for someone to take over an unfinished release-candidate
    and push a release out
3. Ability to make release-candidate fixes in isolation

The following is my suggested release process:

In this scenario we are getting ready for 1.99.20

So, first we take HEAD and prepare it for the RC
$> svn cp https://[repos]/trunk https://[repos]/branches/1.99.20

Then we switch over it
$> svn switch https://[repos]/branches/1.03/1.99.20

We bump versions and such in preparation for the RC
$> vi Changes README Makefile.PL
$> svn ci Changes README Makefile.PL

We make the release-candidate
$> perl Makefile.PL && make dist

[Here we could keep on modifying the branch if RC bugs are found]

We are happy with the release-candidate, so now it's official

First we make the branch a tag

$> svn mv https://[repos]/branches/1.99.20 https://[repos]/tags/1.99.20

Then we switch over to it

$> svn switch https://[repos]/tags/1.99.20

And make the _official_ package
$> perl Makefile.PL && make dist

RELEASE IT!

Then start the new dev cycle.

Switch back to the head
$> svn switch https://[repos]/trunk

Apply (merge) changes to the RC to the trunk/
$> svn merge https://[repos]/trunk https://[repos]/tags/1.99.20

Bump version and such
$> vi lib/mod_perl.pm Changes STATUS RELEASE

Check in
$> svn ci lib/mod_perl.pm Changes README Makefile.PL STATUS RELEASE

Comments welcome!