perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject how to raise entropy
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:11:30 GMT
The story goes like this, I run a smoke of some 70+ mp2 configurations
every other night, and very often I had the test suite hang on startup.
when I'd run things manually everything will work just fine.

most of the time the error log will stop at:

[Wed Dec 22 03:57:01 2004] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest
authentication ...

so what I suspect is that Apache tries to get data from /dev/(u?)random
which blocks if it doesn't have enough entropy and hence we timeout. Now
when I tap-tap-tap on my keyboard the entropy is happily generated, though
when I'm asleep and nothing happens on my notebook the entropy device has
not enough inputs to satisfy the software demands. Of course this is just
an idea. I should have really run the nightly smoke with strace to see
where it blocks for real.

So any idea how to feed the entropy device, other than waking up every 15
minutes to hug my notebook?

This can also help this problem reported not once by users:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#Server_Hanging_at_the_Startup