perl-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wichitill <ma...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [mp2] t/modperl/util hangs on Linux
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:52:52 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Markus Wichitill wrote:
>> Well, I haven't written any C/C++ in a while and I've never had to
>> deal with macro hell, but as far as I can see, newSVpvf is defined in
>> Perl's embed.h:
>>
>> #define newSVpvf        Perl_newSVpvf
>>
>> If I add that line to the top of ModPerl__Util.h manually, it works.
>> If I add
>>
>> #ifndef newSVpvf
>> #error newSVpvf not defined
>> #endif
>>
>> to the end of embed.h and compile, it seems that newSVpvf doesn't get
>> defined. But I have no idea how to trace through that horrible,
>> generated #ifdef jungle.

Ok, so embed.h mostly consists of two halves, the first half is for
!PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT, the second half is for PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT. Since
I have it defined, the aforementioned "#define newSVpvf Perl_newSVpvf" in
the first half isn't used, and in the second half there's no macro for newSVpvf.

Then there's a few special macros at the bottom of embed.h, one section with
the comment "varargs functions can't be handled with CPP macros". But the
workaround macro "#  define newSVpvf Perl_newSVpvf_nocontext" (note the
misplaced (?) spaces in #define) isn't used either, since I have PERL_CORE
defined. If I remove the PERL_CORE check, the code compiles and the macro
used, but the test fails with some garbage output, which is probably ok
since I don't think the _nocontext version is the right one when you pass
that aTHX_ thingy (but what do I know).

Anyway, unless you can see the difference between our setups from my
description, just use the explicit Perl_ prefix for vararg functions. Doug
did that, too, in Apache__Access.h.