perl-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Re: t/perl/ithreads.t revisited
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:07:11 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:

>Steve Hay wrote:
>

>>>No, it's something in the mp2 test setup.  If I just start my installed
>>>Apache2/mp2 setup then I get two Apache.exe's as expected.  I'll try to
>>>see what the difference is.
>>>

>>Got it.  We made an exception for Win32 to always run in one-process
>>mode because otherwise we couldn't relaibly stop both the parent and
>>child processes.  See the call to Win32::Process::Create() in
>>Apache::TestServer::start().
>>
>>It does have the undesirable side-effect that we have seen in this
>>thread, though, namely that if one test causes the single Apache.exe
>>process to exit for whatever reason then all subsequent tests will fail
>>since they now have no server to connect to :(
>>

>I can't really intelligently comment on this one, since I don't know if
>it's possible to rework that code to allow win32 spawn more than 1 proc :(

It's easy to start >1 process -- just don't force the $one_process
option into the start $cmd!  The problem IIRC was trying to stop them
later.  I think if the user CTRL+C's the test suite then only the parent
was stopped, leaving the child still running, but I need to look back
over the archives to see exactly what the problem was.

>what would be nice is to at least somehow abort the test suite, if there
>is no server running.

That's an idea worth looking into sometime.

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

We would like to take this opportunity to wish all our customers, suppliers and colleagues
seasons greetings.  We will not be sending corporate greetings cards this year.  Instead,
we will be making a donation to charity.

and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there
are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions
of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached
virus transmitted by this email.