perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: t/perl/ithreads.t revisited
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:23:29 GMT
Steve Hay wrote:
[...]
>>>The error_log only contains:
>>>
>>>[Tue Dec 14 15:06:47 2004] [notice] Child 3844: Child process is running
>>>[Tue Dec 14 15:06:47 2004] [notice] Child 3844: Acquired the start mutex.
>>>[Tue Dec 14 15:06:47 2004] [notice] Child 3844: Starting 50 worker threads.
>>>[Tue Dec 14 15:06:47 2004] [debug] child.c(684): Child 3844: Worker
>>>thread 0 starting.
>>>
>>>(and another 49 message like the last one, since ThreadsPerChild is 50)
>>>

>>BTW, do we still need this hack? I thought it was supposed to be fixed in
>>2.0.50, no? (talking about the need to run as many threads as vhosts)
>>

> You're correct in that it is fixed in 2.0.50 (I just tried the test
> suite with ThreadsPerChild set at 2 and it worked OK still), but it was
> agreed at the time to leave the higher value in place for backwards
> compatibility.  See:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108505772101330&w=2

Right, but A-T knows the apache version, so it could do the appropriate
decision when writing that file. I'm sure you'd appreciate to not see so
many useless logs in error_log and also it'll be faster, since many less
threads will be started, no?

Is it possible that you could write that patch? That would be:
Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm

In fact I think it'd be cool to fix TestConfig.pm not to write irrelevant
config sections (e.g. prefork for win32, and vice versa).

> Having said that, that mail suggested adding a  BACK_COMPAT_MARKER
> comment, which I don't see.

Assuming that you work on that patch, you could definitely add it in the
right place.

Thanks Steve.