perl-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Re: t/perl/ithreads.t revisited
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:13:09 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:

>Steve Hay wrote:

>>>You mean when debugging? Because normally we don't start one process.
>>>
>>>It's only the case if $self->{run}->{opts}->{'one-process'} is true.
>>>

>>Hmm.  Where would that get set?
>>

>It's not. Unless you pass this option or you run coverage testing. on
>worker mpm, we have two processes.
>

>>Both the full test suite and the bug reporting skeleton definitely only
>>have one Apache.exe running in my Task Manager.  However, I notice if I
>>watch it carefully that a second Apache.exe appears very briefly and
>>then disappears again.
>>

>a bug in Apache may be? May be check the winnt mpm source?

No, it's something in the mp2 test setup.  If I just start my installed
Apache2/mp2 setup then I get two Apache.exe's as expected.  I'll try to
see what the difference is.

>>The error_log only contains:
>>
>>[Tue Dec 14 15:06:47 2004] [notice] Child 3844: Child process is running
>>[Tue Dec 14 15:06:47 2004] [notice] Child 3844: Acquired the start mutex.
>>[Tue Dec 14 15:06:47 2004] [notice] Child 3844: Starting 50 worker threads.
>>[Tue Dec 14 15:06:47 2004] [debug] child.c(684): Child 3844: Worker
>>thread 0 starting.
>>
>>(and another 49 message like the last one, since ThreadsPerChild is 50)
>>

>BTW, do we still need this hack? I thought it was supposed to be fixed in
>2.0.50, no? (talking about the need to run as many threads as vhosts)

You're correct in that it is fixed in 2.0.50 (I just tried the test
suite with ThreadsPerChild set at 2 and it worked OK still), but it was
agreed at the time to leave the higher value in place for backwards
compatibility.  See:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108505772101330&w=2

Having said that, that mail suggested adding a  BACK_COMPAT_MARKER
comment, which I don't see.

Radan Computational Ltd.

We would like to take this opportunity to wish all our customers, suppliers and colleagues
seasons greetings.  We will not be sending corporate greetings cards this year.  Instead,
we will be making a donation to charity.

and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there
are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions
of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached
virus transmitted by this email.