perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: version syntax for mp2
Date Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:58:24 GMT
[subject change]

Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
[...]
>> Now versioning. First of all mp2 is going to be 2.0.x, since it looks
>> like Apache 2.2 might be different enough that modperl-2.2.x will appear.
>

>> We can't give interim RCs $VERSION = 2.0.0 since once we release 2.0
>> we can't change any API, with RCs we hope we won't but if something is
>> really bad we will. Moreover we must keep raising the version numbers
>> so we can continue tracing the bugs. If RC1 is called 2.0.0 and the
>> final release is called 2.0.0 this is going to be a big mess. So the
>> solution is:
>>
>> continue RCs versions as 1.99_18, 19, 20, etc. But change Makefile.PL
>> to have:
>>
>>   VERSION modperl-2.0.0-RC1
>>
>> so it's clear from the package that's an RC for 2.0.0.
>

> Yes, I think it's a good way to go about it. There remains the slight
> probability of trouble for 3rd party authors that have
> bugs in their MP 2.0 detection code, but that's not a very big problem.

What do you mean? That:

   if ($mod_perl::VERSION > 1.99)

won't work for $mod_perl::VERSION = v2.0.0?

you are right that we need to play with the version numbers. I'm a bit
confused at how we do the right triplet VERSION. According to:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/version/lib/version.pm#What_about_v-strings?

it should be:

   $x::VERSION = 2.2.1

but I can't even dump this value, with print.

version.pm is a part of the core only from 5.9.x, and we can't require it
just to get the version number set.

I've also tried 2.002001 but it doesn't seem to make a very good work when
used in conditionals.