perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject mp2: RC1..N..2.0 plan
Date Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:42:28 GMT
So if the nightly smoke goes well, tomorrow gozer releases RC1. We aren't
going do the usual drill of release candidates, we are just going to
release RCs. So the plan is:

we release RC1
- people report problems - we fix them
- we still work on knowns issues to be resolved before 2.0
we release RC2
- people report problems
- we still work on knowns issues to be resolved before 2.0
we release RC3
we release RCN
- people report no problems
- we have no more planned fixes for 2.0
we release 2.0

Now versioning. First of all mp2 is going to be 2.0.x, since it looks like
Apache 2.2 might be different enough that modperl-2.2.x will appear.

We can't give interim RCs $VERSION = 2.0.0 since once we release 2.0 we
can't change any API, with RCs we hope we won't but if something is really
bad we will. Moreover we must keep raising the version numbers so we can
continue tracing the bugs. If RC1 is called 2.0.0 and the final release is
called 2.0.0 this is going to be a big mess. So the solution is:

continue RCs versions as 1.99_18, 19, 20, etc. But change Makefile.PL to have:

   VERSION modperl-2.0.0-RC1

so it's clear from the package that's an RC for 2.0.0.

Now wish us good luck and hopefully RC1 will be out tomorrow.