perl-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wichitill <ma...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: plans for mp2.0.0 release schedule
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:00:09 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Steve Hay wrote:
>
>> If I switch to mp2 then the Perl interpreter is now multi-threaded,
>> thus removing the performance bottleneck, which should be great except
>> for one thing:  All our mp code involves DBI (& DBD-mysql), but DBI is
>> not thread-safe!
>
> I thought DBI was thread-safe at this point.  It's more likely
> DBD::mysql that is not.

DBD::mysql is thread-safe, if the underlying libmysql is (see DBD::mysql
POD). Under Unix, a thread-safe libmysql_r needs to be compiled and linked
(not done by default), under Windows, it should always be thread-safe.

While I can reproduce the crash with Steve's small script, I haven't had any
problems with DBI and DBD::mysql under either WinNT or Worker MPMs in real life.