perl-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Re: plans for mp2.0.0 release schedule
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:59:19 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:

>Steve Hay wrote:
>

>>Is there a way to configure mp2 to build with a non-threaded Perl, or at
>>least to run it in such a way as to not make use of the Perl
>>interpreter's threads, in order to simulate mp1-style behaviour?
>>

>Unfortunately not, since Apache on win32 doesn't run in a single thread
>environment.
>
>However, you could try a very simple solution - make each perl interpreter
>pool of 1 interpreter size and voilĂ  you should have the same thing you
>had with mp1. If that works, you could create different pools in different
>  vhosts (with +Parent) and then you will have more than one interpreter
>for unrelated vhosts. I haven't tested that but it might work.

Not sure I want separate vhosts, but limiting the interpreter pool to 1
sounds like a neat trick.  I always forget that interpreters == threads
with ithreads.  I'll give a go.

>I'll ask Tim what involves in making DBI thread-safe and if it's doable
>and not too complicated, I may try to do that after 2.0 is released. This
>is certainly going to be a problem for people wanting to run the worker
>mpm on Unix, though they have an alternative of prefork mpm, which
>unfortunately you don't.

That would be great!  A few of the popular DBD's would also need be made
thread-safe, too, though, as Perrin hinted, otherwise this doesn't get
us anywhere.

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there
are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions
of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached
virus transmitted by this email.