perl-dev mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: plans for mp2.0.0 release schedule
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:18:18 GMT
Steve Hay wrote:
> If I switch to mp2 then the Perl interpreter is now multi-threaded, thus
> removing the performance bottleneck, which should be great except for
> one thing:  All our mp code involves DBI (& DBD-mysql), but DBI is not
> thread-safe!

I thought DBI was thread-safe at this point.  It's more likely
DBD::mysql that is not.

> Is there a way to configure mp2 to build with a non-threaded Perl, or at
> least to run it in such a way as to not make use of the Perl
> interpreter's threads, in order to simulate mp1-style behaviour?

Sure, see
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#Threads_Mode_Specific_Directives

Just tell it to start a single Perl interpreter, and you will still get
apache threads without perl that handle static stuff.

Of course I haven't tried this stuff personally on win32, but you can
grab the latest mp2 and try it out yourself.

- Perrin