perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2 patch] $Apache::Server::(re)starting functionality
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:16:46 GMT
Reposting to the list on gozer's behalf who forgets to hit Reply-All once
in a while :)

Stas Bekman wrote:
 > This patch returns the functionality we had in mp1:
 >
 > use Apache::ServerUtil ();
 > my $cnt = Apache->server->start_cnt();
 > open my $fh, ">>/tmp/out" or die "$!";
 > print $fh "cnt: $cnt\n";
 > close $fh;

Interestingly simpler idea. But isn't this what ap_my_generation is more
or less representing ?

 > but I'm not sure at all if we want to keep those $Starting/$Restarting
 > vars, based on previous discussions on httpd-dev those could be totally
 > wrong since httpd.conf is reparsed too many times (including graceful
 > and shutdown).

Yeah, I think $Starting/$Restarting was _way_ to esoteric.

 > So i was thinking to just give a variable which will return the
 > generation. So start_cnt() returns 1 when server starts, and 2 when it
 > immediately restarts.

Yes, but I'd call it generation or something like that.

 > please post comments since I want to integrate it now. I need it at
 > least for the tests.

+1 on the concept, maybe stick $Starting/$Restarting in Apache::compat ?