perl-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Strauss <gs-lists-modp...@gluelogic.com>
Subject Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:11:25 GMT
On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 05:07:12PM -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> [...]
> >

> >I think so too. I've managed to hack it up for the static build, with this
> >snipped of code:
> >
> >    my $httpd = File::Spec->catfile($build->{MP_AP_PREFIX}, 'httpd');
> >    $build->{'httpd'} = $httpd;
> >    push @Apache::TestMM::Argv, ('httpd' => $httpd);
> >
> >But it's only being applied to static builds, guess we could push it up
> >and apply it whenever MP_AP_PREFIX is a source dir.
>
> How can we possibly do that w/o knowing whether httpd was built at that
> location at all and whether it's the right one? I think we should abolish
> any builds with MP_AP_PREFIX, but for the static build.
>
> Wasn't it win32 where this was required? Randy, do we need the
> build-against-httpd-source functionality on win32?

> >Exactly! As I was thinking about this, I also realized : Why on earth would
> >someone want to build against apache source if it wasn't for a static
> >build.
>
> For example if someone wants to build a module to be distributed elsewhere?

> >How about at just making building against source deprecated of sorts
> >with the
> >only exception left being the static build ?
>
> Let's disable it for now (w/o cutting out the functionality) and see if
> the patient screams or not.

I'm not sure I understand what is being disabled here.

What about system packagers?

I compile Apache 1.3 with MP1 as a DSO so that I can have a single
binary installation, but can run multiple instances of httpd with
different *.conf files, one with MP1 enabled (backend httpd) and
one without MP1 (frontend httpd)

Cheers,
Glenn