perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: t/modules/proxy.t fails with httpd-2.1
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:39:50 GMT
On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:43:22AM -0500, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>
> > One needs to go through a deprecation cycle before any backwards
> > compatibility in the same generation of the project can be dropped.
>
> Heh, a search for "deprecation cycle" on marc's dev@httpd archives
> comes up empty.

I'm not sure really what you expect.  That no API changes can be made
during 2.1 development unless they were predicted ahead of time by N
years and marked with a red dot?

2.2 will not be backwards compatible with 2.0, that is documented in
VERSIONING.  Exactly *how* it is not compatible depends on exactly what
gets changed.  Exactly *what* gets changed depends on round tuits and
itches getting scratched by individual developers.

How can we predict that Mladen Turk will come along and do a bunch of
proxy work ahead of time?  Should we say instead to Mladen Turk "Hey,
nice code.  But we'll have to deprecate <this> and <that> - come back in
three years when 2.3 opens and you can do your work then.  Thanks for
calling!".  Formal process has its place, but I don't see it here.

Regards,

joe