perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] The various possible SVN layouts
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:33:18 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> I suppose that explains very well the reasoning for httpd
> layout. httpd folks believe apache-1.3 is a history, and hiding
> it in a branch makes it easier to make it so.

Err, I don't think they're trying to hide anything.  It's
right alongside the 2.0 branch, and both lines are still
supported, certainly with future releases to come from each.
As a practical matter, no commits to those branches are allowed
to break their ABI.  That doesn't mean those codebases are
frozen.

IMO the question boils down to your expectations for using
the /branch subdir.  Branch management is a PITA in cvs, but
it's transparent in svn.  Do you expect development
on modperl-1 codebase to need lots of branch work?   If
so, I think it makes sense for it to have it's own
project subdir.  If not, then why bother?  (Same
question applies to the modperl-docs "project", btw).

--
Joe Schaefer