perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:19:50 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Randy Kobes wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Is the thinking though to drop MP_AP_PREFIX? Win32 could use
>>> the location of (an installed) apxs instead, if available,
>>> but at present we don't assume apxs is present. Or one could
>>> use the location of the installed Apache.exe - that would
>>> probably be better.
>>

>> We are discussing to drop only for DSO. The static build will still
>> use MP_AP_PREFIX.
>>
>> btw, what win32 sources are you talking about? httpd source?
>>
>> An alternative solution is not to disable the DSO build against
>> MP_AP_PREFIX, but die on 'make test' if it's attempted w/o specifying
>> apxs and of course changing the perl Makefile.PL to ask for the
>> apxs/httpd instead of the source.
>

> This solution sounds like a good one to me so far. Keeping MP_AP_PREFIX
> is acceptable, it's just that instead of meaning "either an apache
> installation
> tree or an apache source", we'd make it an apache installation path
> _unless_
> it's a static build.

Well, that's not exactly what I was suggesting. Let's no redefine the
meaning of MP_AP_PREFIX on the fly, besides 'apache-installation-path'
doesn't exist on most prepackaged distros, since things are spread around
the system. I was talking to keep things as they are but refuse 'make
test' w/o httpd passed and not ask for MP_AP_PREFIX if no args are passed
to Makefile.PL, or ask for it, if the user has failed to path httpd/apxs
values.