perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:10:45 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:

>>How can we possibly do that w/o knowing whether httpd was built at that
>>location at all and whether it's the right one? I think we should abolish
>>any builds with MP_AP_PREFIX, but for the static build.
>>
>>Wasn't it win32 where this was required? Randy, do we need the
>>build-against-httpd-source functionality on win32?
>

> At present Win32 does use MP_AP_PREFIX for the location of
> the installed Apache2, and things such as the includes and
> lib directories are determined from it (and rely on the
> standard installation layout under MP_AP_PREFIX). It would
> take more work to get it to work with a Win32 source
> directory, but that's probably not worth it, as few users
> would use it, and plus, the Win32 sources have their own
> layout of where things lie (for mp1, it got to be quite
> intricate allowing both an installed and source apache
> tree).
>
> Is the thinking though to drop MP_AP_PREFIX? Win32 could use
> the location of (an installed) apxs instead, if available,
> but at present we don't assume apxs is present. Or one could
> use the location of the installed Apache.exe - that would
> probably be better.

We are discussing to drop only for DSO. The static build will still use
MP_AP_PREFIX.

btw, what win32 sources are you talking about? httpd source?

An alternative solution is not to disable the DSO build against
MP_AP_PREFIX, but die on 'make test' if it's attempted w/o specifying apxs
and of course changing the perl Makefile.PL to ask for the apxs/httpd
instead of the source.

That's probably the best solution.