perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:49:49 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> please followup on this issue asap, as this is critical for mp2.0 release.

Every time I take a vacation, things seem to just pile up ;-)

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>As several users have reported to the list, when one configures against
>>the httpd-2.0 source .e.g:
>>
>>perl Makefile.PL MP_INST_APACHE2=1
>>MP_AP_PREFIX=/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-2.0
>>
>>'make test' fails with:
>>
>>something is wrong, mod_perl 2.0 build should have supplied all the
>>needed information to run the tests. Please post
>>lib/Apache/BuildConfig.pm along with the bug report at
>>/home/stas/apache.org/mp2-cvs/Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm line
>>349.
>>+--------------------------------------------------------+
>>| Please file a bug report: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ |
>>+--------------------------------------------------------+
>>
>>A-T rightfully fails since it doesn't know where apxs/httpd are (they
>>were never supplied).

This is a problem incredibly similar to what happens during the static
build process.

>>Anybody remembers how were we dealing with that before? I don't think it
>>has ever worked, besides when an explicit value of httpd was passed to
>>t/TEST.

I think so too. I've managed to hack it up for the static build, with this
snipped of code:

     my $httpd = File::Spec->catfile($build->{MP_AP_PREFIX}, 'httpd');
     $build->{'httpd'} = $httpd;
     push @Apache::TestMM::Argv, ('httpd' => $httpd);

But it's only being applied to static builds, guess we could push it up
and apply it whenever MP_AP_PREFIX is a source dir.

>>Do we need to support the build against the source for any other reason
>>than static build?

Exactly! As I was thinking about this, I also realized : Why on earth would
someone want to build against apache source if it wasn't for a static build.

>>In any case we should handle that case at A-T level and spit the right
>>error message, like:

>>You have built mod_perl against httpd source, therefore it's not
>>possible to run the test suite. You need to install first httpd if you
>>haven't done so already. And run the test suite with:
>>
>>  APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/path/to/installed/bin/httpd make test
>>
>>or rebuild mod_perl using the MP_APXS argument (see the installation
>>documentation for more details).

How about at just making building against source deprecated of sorts with the
only exception left being the static build ?