perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: commit messages (was Re: another svn problem)
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:43:16 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
[...]
> so, we need to come up with a format.  I guess for me, the only thing I'm
> still irked about is that the commit message includes lots of unnecessary
> path information.  so, I would like to see something like this:

> svn commit: r106927 -
> /perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
> /perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod
>
> Becomes:
>
> svn commit: r106927 - src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
> src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod

what's the point of listing all the changed files in the Subject? You
can't see it anyway when it's too long. See the example of the one such
commit in modperl-2.0/SVN-MOVE:

   Subject: svn commit: r105803 - in httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework: .
Apache-Test Apache-Test/lib/Apache Apache-Test/t Apache-Test/t/conf
c-modules c-modules/authany c-modules/client_add_filter c-modules/eat_post
c-modules/echo_post c-modules/echo_post_chunk c-modules/input_body_filter
c-modules/list_modules c-modules/nntp_like c-modules/random_chunk
c-modules/test_apr_uri c-modules/test_pass_brigade c-modules/test_rwrite
c-modules/test_ssl t t/conf t/conf/ssl t/htdocs/modules/access/htaccess
t/htdocs/modules/cgi t/htdocs/modules/rewrite t/modules

it should list just the first entry.

> since the branch information (/trunk or /branches) comes out under the
> Modified header in the email, I don't see why we wouldn't want to truncate
> to that point.

because if we start doing branching one may want to filter the mesages by
the prefix. (even though one could filter by matching against the body as
well). But normally I don't want to see it in the subject.

so I propose to put it at the very end of the subject line.

> any other opinions?  once we come up with some concrete desires we will
> forward them to infrastructure@.

As written in SVN-MOVE doc:

   Proposed Subject format:

   $svn_id $first_subdir/$first_file ($trunk)

I doubt we should waste the crucual first chars that fit into the mailer
line with 'svn commit:' prefix.