perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject commit messages (was Re: another svn problem)
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:24:52 GMT
ok, I talked to justin at #asfinfra and he said that he would prefer that we
come up with a mail format we would like to see so that the default python
mailer could be tweaked and re-given to the SVN folks.  the alternative
would be to use SVN::Notify _and_ mailer.py, which would be two scripts for
the infrastructure team to maintain.

so, we need to come up with a format.  I guess for me, the only thing I'm
still irked about is that the commit message includes lots of unnecessary
path information.  so, I would like to see something like this:

svn commit: r106927 -
/perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
/perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod

Becomes:

svn commit: r106927 - src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod

since the branch information (/trunk or /branches) comes out under the
Modified header in the email, I don't see why we wouldn't want to truncate
to that point.

any other opinions?  once we come up with some concrete desires we will
forward them to infrastructure@.

--Geoff