perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] pools that go out of scope aren't a problem anymore?
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:09:11 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps this effort would be a good candidate for
>>>a short-lived "pool-scope-2.x-unstable" branch.
>

> [...]
>

>>You suggest the branch because we aren't sure that's the way we will
>>do it? Or is it because instead of sending patches one can freely
>>commit things and get others the changes right away?
>

> Yes-  I hate seeing good efforts stall out while waiting
> for consensus to form.

Well if there is no consensus then why wasting time in first place.

I guess we have to wait until after the thankslazygivings to be over and
hopefully will hear from the others.

>>Otherwise what's wrong with gradual changes, starting with APR::Table
>>and moving to other classes and refactoring on the way...
>

> Nothing, if there's ready consensus that your
> APR::Table patch is the right approach. Of course
> you have my +1 to commit it to trunk and whittle away
> at your heart's content.
 >
>>In any case I hope that others will comment on the problem in
>>hand and give their insights on the proposed solutions...
>
> Right, but in the event that doesn't happen before
> you've lost your zeal, I suggest making a branch
> before simply giving up on it.

I won't lose it since it's a showstopper for 2.0 release. And I want to
see 2.0 RC1 out really soon now.

But let's do the branch at least in order to learn how branching works
with svn.