perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] pools that go out of scope aren't a problem anymore?
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:44:24 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>In any case I'm pretty sure that you've already thought about a
>>great solution and you have an almost working patch. Don't say that
>>you don't have one :)
>

> The solution IMO, is to do what Apache::Request::Table::new does:
> keep a reference to the APR::Pool argument in the new APR::Table
> object's magic list.  That ensures the pool will last as long as
> the table SV does.
>
> I'm pretty sure I proposed this idea before, but it met with
> some resistance.  IIRC folks here considered this a bug in
> APR::Pool, but I say the problem here is in APR::Table.  I'd
> like to see us settle on a course of action first.

Yeah, I saw your changes to Apache::Request::Table and was planning to
look at that. The problem with your solution is that it'll require getting
this code into any function that gets the pool object. And there are quite
a few of those. That's why we need to look first at the possibility to
have the pool know when it's safe to go away.

I haven't yet studied in detail the latest reincarnation of APR::Pool, but
the previous implementation was refcounting every time a pool object was
asked for. And it won't destroy till all the users cease to exist.
Granted, this worked (sort of) for pool objects, but it didn't solve the
problem we are discussing now. So I wonder if it's possible to somehow
store the users of the pool (svs) (and refcount them) in the pool and not
the other way around. It's probably not quite possible, w/o invoking some
code every time a pool is a passed to method/func, which will essentially
do the same as your code in Apache::Request::Table::new.