perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] extending Apache::RequestRec::filename to optionally set its stat record
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:01:22 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> At the modperl list following the question documented at this entry's Note:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/RequestRec.html#C_filename_
>
> -----------------------------
> Note that if you change the filename after the PerlMapToStorageHandler
> phase was run and expect Apache to serve it, you need to update its stat
> record, like so:
>
>   use Apache::RequestRec ();
>   use APR::Finfo ();
>   use APR::Const -compile => qw(FINFO_NORM);
>   $r->filename($newfile);
>   $r->finfo(APR::Finfo::stat($newfile, APR::FINFO_NORM, $r->pool));
>
> if you don't, Apache will still try to use the previously cached
> information about the previously set value of the filename.

you should note that "Apache" here really means "Apache's default, flat-file
content handler" - the issue is that default_handler assumes nobody will
play with anything, so it makes 304 decisions based on finfo and not a new
stat of filename.

> I've suggested that we could make an option argument to filename() that
> will do that work automatically on behalf of users. Some folks seem to
> like the idea. What other developers think?

not surprisingly, I'm really not in favor of it :)

--Geoff