perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: another svn problem (diff across svn:external
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:00:35 GMT

David Wheeler wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2004, at 4:55 PM, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>> david and I started a one-way conversation with infrastructure@ about
>> making
>> commit emails better which went nowhere.  if we can control our own
>> mailer
>> and messages I think I'd like to prove to everyone that we can come up
>> with
>> something better using a SVN::Notify subclass than they can modifying
>> some
>> global python script.  but, alas, I don't have the tuits to do it on
>> my own atm.
>

> What's required for this, Geoff?

I really don't know.  but I'll take it up with infrastructure@ or #asfinfra
on monday and find out.

> It would take me no time to whip up a
> subclass. All that needs doing to set it up is for someone to add the
> appropriate command to post-commits. I can send the command spec, and
> discuss issues of getting it to be triggered only for mod_perl projects
> (which it can do using regular expressions). But svn users don't
> generally get access to post-commits the way we used to get access to
> CVSROOT...

my thought is that if there is a chance that we can control the mailer on a
per-PMC level that I'd rather it be in our control in perl.  so, let's
attack that issue first with infrastructure and go from there.  I'll follow
up here on monday with my success or failure.

in preparation, working on the subclass would be great.  based on our other
discussions you have a place to start.  the only thing I would add to that
is that using a filename in the subject as opposed to the first line of the
commit probably makes more sense for a broad project like this, where people
may only care about portions of the codebase.  but we can always tweak it if
I'm wrong.

thanks for helping out with this.

--Geoff