perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: another svn problem (diff across svn:external
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:24:40 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> While it's sort of OK for us developers to figure it out, quite often
>> we ask users to get a fresh "cvs-r.i.p." checkout and we won't want to
>> make them jumping through hoops, there is enough pain they have to
>> endure.
>

> Well, you already need to run 'perl Makefile.PL' in order to build,
> right?  Why not stick some code in there that looks for the Apache-Test
> stuff you need and if it isn't there (and you're in an svn working copy)
> do the switch?

Yeah, why not slap yet another workaround for 100 workarounds. It doesn't
seem like we really have another choice. And then someone needs to manage
those 10000 lines Makefile.PL and make sense of it.

>> So what's the forecast for svn:externals, is it planned to be fixed,
>> and how soon?
>

> I don't personally have any plans to fix it, and I don't know of any
> other Subversion developers who do in the immediate future.  There are
> some plans as to how it could be made to work better, but at this point
> that's all it is, plans.  As usual in open source projects something
> gets fixed when someone is motivated to fix it, and most of the
> developers do not seem to make heavy use of externals, thus they are
> devoting their time to other issues, like locking support and merge
> tracking.

that's clear. the short answer is: "no, it's not going to be fixed any
time soon".

>> What bothers me the most is that when we asked whether modperl will be
>> OK moved to svn, the answer was: "yes of course, everything is ready".
>> Now we discover lots of broken/missing things. And unfortunately I
>> find that the move to svn was really rushed and unjustifiable. In fact
>> I'd prefer to see things reverted to cvs at least until after we get
>> mp2.0 out, but that's too late in the game and we depend on
>> Apache-Test which is now under svn without a question.
>

> It seems that mod_perl2 is making use of some features (specifically
> pulling in other parts of the repository) that other Apache projects
> just don't make much use of.  I agree that the transition could
> certainly have gone smoother if some more thought had been put into it
> beforehand, and some more information distributed to the developers as
> to what life post-conversion would be like, as opposed to the "you'll
> figure out it" kind of thing that seems to have happened.

I've explicitly asked about this functionality, and I was told that it
just works.

> That said, I don't think any of the problems you've got are
> insurmountable.  If you can figure out a way to work around the few
> remaining problems I think you'll be ok.

Right, no problem is the world is insurmountable. I guess I will soon
finish mourning the environment that just worked and had 0 problems for
us, and move on trying to ride the more complicated beast which gives 0
extra benefits to us.