perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: another svn problem (diff across svn:external
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:38:55 GMT
Markus Wichitill wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Markus Wichitill wrote:

>>> Would it be feasible to only change and commit files in separate
>>> working copies of A-T and docs? That would also have the advantage
>>> that the externals wouldn't require https URLs.
>>

>> Sorry Markus, I don't understand what do you propose.
>

> What I mean is, checkout
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/docs/trunk/ and
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/test/trunk/ (or subpaths of
> those) into their own working copies, and only edit files in those WCs,
> instead of editing files in the external paths of your main modperl WC
> of https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk.
>
> That way, you don't need recursive diff over externals, and you don't
> need https URLs for the externals, since you don't commit through them.
> Even Unix users without SSL compiled-in can then retrieve the source
> (standard Windows binaries and the popular TortoiseSVN client have SSL).
>
> Of course, depending on how you work, having three different working
> copies might not be a good option.

Got it :)

While that will work for docs (I never edit docs inside the modperl
checkout, but always in its own checkout) that's not quite possible for
Apache-Test when the developed feature requires mod_perl checkout for
testing. Trying to shuffle external dirs in this case is very error-prone
and counter-productive.