perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: another svn problem (diff across svn:external
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:30:12 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>> svn diff seems plain broken for externals, other commands have no
>>> trouble seeing the modifications.
>>

>> :(
>>

> It also doesn't interact well with tagging or branching (you have to go
> in and fix up the svn:externals properties on the branch/tag manually)
> or with accessing a repository via multiple different ra layers (or even
> the same ra layer with http and https).

That's very important, that tags are applied across externals. I suppose
that also means that one can't ask to checkout a certain revision number
and expect to get the externals of the matching version? Is that right? In
which case this is very broken.

> svn:externals was a poorly thought out feature when it was added, and
> there are a number of problems with it, some of which can be fixed (the
> svn diff thing is probably fixable by making the underlying diff code
> aware of externals), some of which are just conceptually busted (the
> tags and multiple ra layer things just can't work in some cases).  I
> personally argued for it to be deleted before 1.0 was released, but
> there were too many people using it by that point, and nobody was
> willing to put in the work for a real replacement at the time, so it
> stayed.
>
> This is why I suggested to Philippe that you use a dummy directory and
> svn switch to bring in the parts of the mod_perl tree that come from
> other places in the asf repository.  It's irritating that it isn't
> automatic, but there are far fewer broken edge cases because svn switch
> is actually something that's baked right into the system as opposed to
> bolted on top of it.

While it's sort of OK for us developers to figure it out, quite often we
ask users to get a fresh "cvs-r.i.p." checkout and we won't want to make
them jumping through hoops, there is enough pain they have to endure.

So what's the forecast for svn:externals, is it planned to be fixed, and
how soon?

What bothers me the most is that when we asked whether modperl will be OK
moved to svn, the answer was: "yes of course, everything is ready". Now we
discover lots of broken/missing things. And unfortunately I find that the
move to svn was really rushed and unjustifiable. In fact I'd prefer to see
things reverted to cvs at least until after we get mp2.0 out, but that's
too late in the game and we depend on Apache-Test which is now under svn
without a question.

Thanks Garrett!