perl-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wichitill <ma...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: another svn problem (diff across svn:external
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:23:32 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Markus Wichitill wrote:
>> Stas Bekman wrote:
>>> I see yet another problem with svn. modperl-2.0 uses svn:externals:
>>> docs
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0
>>> Apache-Test
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework/Apache-Test

>>> Now when I run 'svn diff' at the top level it won't show the diff for
>>> those externals. Why? How this can be fixed? Thanks.
>>
>> Would it be feasible to only change and commit files in separate
>> working copies of A-T and docs? That would also have the advantage
>> that the externals wouldn't require https URLs.
>
> Sorry Markus, I don't understand what do you propose.

What I mean is, checkout
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/docs/trunk/ and
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/test/trunk/ (or subpaths of those)
into their own working copies, and only edit files in those WCs, instead of
editing files in the external paths of your main modperl WC of
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk.

That way, you don't need recursive diff over externals, and you don't need
https URLs for the externals, since you don't commit through them. Even Unix
users without SSL compiled-in can then retrieve the source (standard Windows
binaries and the popular TortoiseSVN client have SSL).

Of course, depending on how you work, having three different working copies
might not be a good option.