perl-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: another svn problem (diff across svn:external
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:16:09 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:

>> svn diff seems plain broken for externals, other commands have no
>> trouble seeing the modifications.
>

> :(

It also doesn't interact well with tagging or branching (you have to go
in and fix up the svn:externals properties on the branch/tag manually)
or with accessing a repository via multiple different ra layers (or even
the same ra layer with http and https).

svn:externals was a poorly thought out feature when it was added, and
there are a number of problems with it, some of which can be fixed (the
svn diff thing is probably fixable by making the underlying diff code
aware of externals), some of which are just conceptually busted (the
tags and multiple ra layer things just can't work in some cases).  I
personally argued for it to be deleted before 1.0 was released, but
there were too many people using it by that point, and nobody was
willing to put in the work for a real replacement at the time, so it stayed.

This is why I suggested to Philippe that you use a dummy directory and
svn switch to bring in the parts of the mod_perl tree that come from
other places in the asf repository.  It's irritating that it isn't
automatic, but there are far fewer broken edge cases because svn switch
is actually something that's baked right into the system as opposed to
bolted on top of it.

-garrett