perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] The various possible SVN layouts
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:04:22 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>>IMO the question boils down to your expectations for using
>>>the /branch subdir.  Branch management is a PITA in cvs, but
>>>it's transparent in svn.  Do you expect development
>>>on modperl-1 codebase to need lots of branch work?
>>
>>You never know.
>
> Yes, you do.  You can look over the long history of modperl-1
> and see how often branches were needed.  Since it's a stable
> codebase now, the future need for them should be significantly
> diminished.  So it's reasonable to expect even fewer branches
> over the remaining lifespan of that codebase.

Yes, but branch belongs to a common tree. mp1 and mp2 have no common tree.
And that's my main point to suggest having a separate top-level for each
project.

>>>If so, I think it makes sense for it to have it's own
>>>project subdir.  If not, then why bother?  (Same
>>>question applies to the modperl-docs "project", btw).
>>
>>For example for a better visibility and to make it clear that modperl1
>>is *not* a branch of mp2 or the other way around.
>

> Were we talking about cvs, I'd agree 100% with the visibility
> argument.

What difference does it make?

> But with svn, that argument rings hollow to me.
> Nevertheless, I'll happily adhere to your decision, if the
> perl PMC has sufficient participation in infrastructure@ to
> manage the perl repository itself.

What needs to be managed?

> Yes, I'm still worried about
> maintaining svn's ACL given the intertwining of the docs, test,
> and modperl repositories.  It is difficult to protect raw uris,
> and there are already a few bugtraq appearances of mod_authz_svn.

In any case, since the majority seems to want the Apache way, I'm stepping
aside and let you decide on how do you want the layout to be.