perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Apache2 and Apache::Test
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:04:41 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>>It looks like the top-level httpd-test/perl-framework/Makefile
>>>wasn't picking up your redefinitions; they were winding up in
>>>httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/Makefile.
>>
>>really, you aren't supposed to run make install from
>>perl-framework. It just happened to live there. But you ought to
>>install it from Apache-Test/ or modperl-2.0/.
>

> Well I don't see any harm in fixing it, for the sake of consistency.

The right fix IMHO is to have an empty 'install' target in the top-level
Makefile (httpd-test/perl-framework). Why spreading a complicated messed
up Makefile bits all over and making the maintenance harder?

> New and future developers could do without this quirk.  I'm actually
> a bit surprised that Apache::Test doesn't ship the full httpd test
> suite in its distribution (just stating my surprise here, not asking
> that it be included).

why should it? It has nothing to do with httpd, other than httpd using it.

Regardless, believe me you really do want to ship it, at least for the
fact that the httpd-test suite is broken most of the time.