perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] The various possible SVN layouts
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:53:20 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>I suppose that explains very well the reasoning for httpd layout. httpd
>>folks believe apache-1.3 is a history, and hiding it in a branch makes
>>it easier to make it so.
>

> I don't think they think that at all :)

There are and there are...

>>Right. At the moment we have 3 projects in perl pmc. And those are
>>modperl1, modperl2 and modperl-docs - each needs to be on top and not
>>hidden in a sub-branch of some other project.
>

> I think apr is most similar in this respect:
>
>   apr/apr/
>   apr/apr-util/
 >
> so I guess it makes sense to have
>   /perl/modperl
>   /perl/modperl-docs
>
> however, both apr and httpd have put solid and currently maintained branches
> under /branches/, leaving /trunk for just the cvs HEAD equivalent.

APR is the least relevant example here, IMHO, since APR is the same thing
(same origin), with different branches. modperl1 and modperl2 are not.

> I don't
> think it hurts anything to follow this practice, just for the sake of
> maintaining some kind of consistency with the rest of the asf projects.

someone earlier said that it doesn't make any difference, since one just
copies-n-pastes the commands. So I'd rather have an intuitive layout for
modperl because it makes more sense to us (i hope), not because some other
project decided that it's convenient to them.

> btw, might we want to (finally) adopt mod_perl in place of modperl?

+1

may be the following is better?

/perl/mod_perl/docs
                2.x