perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] The various possible SVN layouts
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:44:01 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> David Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> writes:
>

>>Actually, I think that if the httpd folks had heard Stas'
>>argument that  modperl1, modperl1 and modperl-docs are three
>>unrelated projects,
>

> modperl-1 differs from modperl-2 about as much as apache-1.3
> differs from httpd-2.0.  It looks to me like both httpd and apr
> followed the general pattern
>
>         $pmc / $project
>
> to name their repositories, reserving the branch/ subdir
> for a project's historical versions.  Yes, this means
> apache 1.3 is alongside 2.0 in httpd/httpd/branches.
>
> This layout matches the fact that communities only
> develop one main codebase at a time, which is what
> trunk/ represents.  Historical versions are maintained
> in branches/, and actual releases are just subdirs
> that appear in the tags/ subdir.

I suppose that explains very well the reasoning for httpd layout. httpd
folks believe apache-1.3 is a history, and hiding it in a branch makes it
easier to make it so.

Which is not the case with modperl. The fact that we aren't changing much
mp1 is because we don't have the free hands to do so. This is not because
mp1 is a history. so I won't try to hide it from the top level, into a
mp2's sub-branch.

> svn isn't cvs, it's closer to a generic filesystem
> that has versioning built into it.  There's nothing
> special about the trunk/, tags/ and branches/ subdirs,
> except in how people agree to use them (or not).

Right. At the moment we have 3 projects in perl pmc. And those are
modperl1, modperl2 and modperl-docs - each needs to be on top and not
hidden in a sub-branch of some other project.