perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: can someone explain the new modperl svn layout?
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:37:54 GMT
Dominique Quatravaux wrote:
> Hello, just a grain of salt from an somewhat experienced mod_perl user
> who switched to Subversion some time ago...
>
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>  >
>  >> Second, docs/ was placed under modperl/ because like most other
>  >> projects, the convention is to place the website/documentation
>  >> beside trunk/ of the project it matches. It's just a convention.
>  >
>  >
>  > what's the logic behind that convention?
>
> Well, I guess people expect the documentation to vary with the
> software (e.g. if you want to branch MP2 to provide, say, better
> support for interpreter multiplicity, you will want to update the docs
> too because of e.g. new httpd.conf directives).

And there is no problem with that, no matter where you put those.

>  >> Third, modperl-2.0 was made into modperl/trunk because it was the
>  >>  main development branch. Same reason httpd-2.1 was made into
>  >> httpd/trunk
>  >
>  >
>  > well, 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 are closely related. mp1 and mp2 have next
>  > to zero relation to each other. I can't see a good reason why the
>  > two should be branches of the same tree.
>
> My opinion is that the "trunk" convention in Subversion is a CVS mimic
> that only fits a small number of projects with only one main line of
> development, which obviously mod_perl isn't. But this is the topic of
> another thread.

Right.

>  > modperl-docs, modperl-2.0 and modperl-1.0 are 3 unrelated projects
>
> Really? I for one believe that the docs would be of better overall
> quality if they were maintained at the same time as the rest of the
> tree. On smaller-scale CPAN modules, I've found that insisting that
> contributors provide patches for all three of code, tests and docs
> results in a vastly more useable distribution.

They are maintained at the same time. but since we chose to have
modperl-docs include modperl1, modperl2 and other general online docs, I
call the whole unrelated (since only a chunk of it relates to each of the
software projects). In fact modperl-2.0/docs is a checkout of
modperl-docs/src/docs/2.0

Thanks for the comments, Dominique