perl-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: svn question
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 05:25:01 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>> Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>> I find the fact that svn dumps its file copies into the same tree
>>> with the source files pretty annoying, since it's no longer possible
>>> to grep files, since you get dups, and do other things. Is there a
>>> way to configure svn to store its stuff elsewhere?
>>>

>> Nope, but you can use something like the wcgrep script to avoid the
>> problem.  You can grab it from the svn source tree in
>> contrib/client-side or directly from the repos at
>>
>> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/wcgrep
>

> Thanks Garrett, but this is not what I'm after. I don't want the source
> to be polluted with noise. I don't want to have a special grep script
> for each new feature someone invents :( Why can't it store the files
> elsewhere? x?emacs keep temp files, but you can tell it not to store
> them in the same tree as the source.

It can't store it someplace else because libsvn_wc, the code that
manages the working copy, is very very complex, and trying to remove a
fundamental assumption ("I can find the text-base version of foo.c in
.svn/text-base/foo.c.svn-base") is not a simple thing at this point.

We (the Subversion developers) agree this kind of sucks, but it's the
current state of the union.  There are plans to rewrite it at some point
to remove problems like this, among other things, but it's not even on
the radar as far as scheduling such a thing at this point.

I'm sorry that you don't like having the .svn directories and their
contents in the tree, but there's no easy way around it for now while
using Subversion.

One thing you might look at is svk, which in addition to giving you a
distributed version control system built on top of svn also happens to
not use .svn directories in it's working-copy code.

-garrett