perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: svn and Apache-Test
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:16:11 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>> hi guys...
>>
>> I know that when we left apachecon there were still some issues with
>> mp2 and
>> A-T.  did these ever resolve or do we still need to figure things out?
>>

> Yes, these had to do with the difference in how you can link
> repositories together. Take modperl-2.0
> and cvs, with the CVSROOT/modules files, causing Apache-Test and parts
> of mp-docs to be
> checked out automatically when you checkout modperl-2.0.
>
> Now in SVN, there are 2 ways to do that, the first one is using a cool
> svn:externals proprety. That
> would almost work for us with one exception. Since it requires that you
> put fully-qualified URLs
> in the external definitions, you'd have to stick to either http/https
> access to the repository.
>
> Possibility #1: Use http:// urls
>  Problems is for developers like us that want a read-write docs/ and
> Apache-Test/ directories we can
>  change and checkin from, right ? (if that's not the case, this solution
> works)

svn is primerily needed for developers and that should be the first priority.

> Possibility #2: Use https://urls
>  Problem is only that for read-only users, the added slowdown with using
> SSL is wasted on them, since
>  http would work just fine for them.

Go with #2, who cares about a little overhead, most people aren't checking
out the source via cvs/svn anyway.

> After thinking about these quite a lot, I talked with a guy from SVN and
> he effictively told me: "externals
> are broken and you should _not_ use them for this"

Heh, so much for rushing to move to svn :( What does he mean "broken",
when I've asked last time on infrastructure, I was told that it
"externals" works just fine. If it's broken it should be fixed asap, since
the move to svn was approved after the promise was made that things will
just work.

> So, here comes Possibility #3:
>
>  Don't use svn:externals and use svn switch. That allows grafting pieces
> of one repos into other parts of the
> same repos. Yay! Only drawback is that now checkout can't just be
> automatic, there needs to be a small client-side
> script (util/svn.pl for me now) that needs to be run once after checking
> out mp2 to issue the right svn switch commands.
> Once that is done, ro/rw for developers/users works just fine. svn
> ci/diff/up also proprely propagete down these switched
> repositories.

Please don't. This makes things complicated and invited unnecessary
questions/problem reports for us to deal with. The snapshotting mechanism
will be broken as well.

> I personally would be more or less with solution #1 or #3.
>
> Thoughts? In any case, I've got it all done on my side, so whatever we
> pick, I can just make it so in 2 flick of the mouse.

+1 for #2: