perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: svn and Apache-Test
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:02:49 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>hi guys...
>
>I know that when we left apachecon there were still some issues with mp2 and
>A-T.  did these ever resolve or do we still need to figure things out?

Yes, these had to do with the difference in how you can link
repositories together. Take modperl-2.0
and cvs, with the CVSROOT/modules files, causing Apache-Test and parts
of mp-docs to be
checked out automatically when you checkout modperl-2.0.

Now in SVN, there are 2 ways to do that, the first one is using a cool
svn:externals proprety. That
would almost work for us with one exception. Since it requires that you
put fully-qualified URLs
in the external definitions, you'd have to stick to either http/https
access to the repository.

Possibility #1: Use http:// urls
  Problems is for developers like us that want a read-write docs/ and
Apache-Test/ directories we can
  change and checkin from, right ? (if that's not the case, this
solution works)

Possibility #2: Use https://urls
  Problem is only that for read-only users, the added slowdown with
using SSL is wasted on them, since
  http would work just fine for them.

After thinking about these quite a lot, I talked with a guy from SVN and
he effictively told me: "externals
are broken and you should _not_ use them for this"

So, here comes Possibility #3:

  Don't use svn:externals and use svn switch. That allows grafting
pieces of one repos into other parts of the
same repos. Yay! Only drawback is that now checkout can't just be
automatic, there needs to be a small client-side
script (util/svn.pl for me now) that needs to be run once after checking
out mp2 to issue the right svn switch commands.
Once that is done, ro/rw for developers/users works just fine. svn
ci/diff/up also proprely propagete down these switched
repositories.

I personally would be more or less with solution #1 or #3.

Thoughts? In any case, I've got it all done on my side, so whatever we
pick, I can just make it so in 2 flick of the mouse.

Gozer out.