perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject [mp2] make test problems when configuring against source
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:39:10 GMT
As several users have reported to the list, when one configures against
the httpd-2.0 source .e.g:

perl Makefile.PL MP_INST_APACHE2=1
MP_AP_PREFIX=/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-2.0

'make test' fails with:

something is wrong, mod_perl 2.0 build should have supplied all the needed
information to run the tests. Please post lib/Apache/BuildConfig.pm along
with the bug report at
/home/stas/apache.org/mp2-cvs/Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm line 349.
| Please file a bug report: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ |

A-T rightfully fails since it doesn't know where apxs/httpd are (they were
never supplied).

Anybody remembers how were we dealing with that before? I don't think it
has ever worked, besides when an explicit value of httpd was passed to t/TEST.

Do we need to support the build against the source for any other reason
than static build?

In any case we should handle that case at A-T level and spit the right
error message, like:

You have built mod_perl against httpd source, therefore it's not possible
to run the test suite. You need to install first httpd if you haven't done
so already. And run the test suite with:

   APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/path/to/installed/bin/httpd make test

or rebuild mod_perl using the MP_APXS argument (see the installation
documentation for more details).