perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [apr] dropping Apache2/ subdir for APR::*
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 04:59:54 GMT
Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> [02-07-2004 01:21]:
> [...]
>
>>Though let's think about the future now. What happens when APR 2 is
>>released (currently we have APR 1, don't confuse with Apache 2.x). How do
>>we ensure that several APR generations can co-exist under the same perl
>>install?
>
> [...]

Doh! Radoslaw, thanks for reminding me of this thread [1], where we have
reached the opposite conclusion (not to drop Apache2/ prefix)

> Sorry for warming up old threads, but I think it's worth to be noted: if
> the two versions are incompatible, the proper solution is a namespace
> change; in this case: APR2::* hierarchy.
>
> A pity it hasn't been done with Apache::* modules, the MP_INST_APACHE2 +
> "use Apache2" hack is a real pain in the ass for the distributors (like
> Linux distributions).

As it was repeated many times here (my apologies if it's the first time
that you hear that), the reason for not embedding the version number in
the module name is because for most the user API doesn't change. So if
your module/app wants to support several generations of some other module,
whose API hasn't changed, you don't need to turn your code into a big mess.

talking to myself: I think I should add this to the docs somewhere. I've
repeated that explanation quite a few times already.

Radoslaw, please grep the archives for Apache2 (I believe) to find the
relevant threads (there were quite a few of those on both lists).